Thursday, January 15, 2015

Strapless's New Clothes


 My poor old Strapless needed some attention.


 As per usual, I couldn't just stop at a leg fix. The Strapless mold suffers from some distortion issues in photos, and is somewhat difficult to show with since she is turning.


 Tada! Now, she's going straight!


I fixed her broken leg, straightened out her neck, and moved her legs around a bit so that they aren't all dragging on the ground. That left fore is airborne, and her right hind is actually raised off the ground via a peg. (You can't see it in the photos due to the fluffy towel background, but trust me, it's there.)


 She looks quite a bit nicer in her second coat of primer!


 Of course, there is still lots (and lots and lots and lots) of sanding to do, especially around her neck, but I'm getting progressively happier with how she's looking!


 There are still lots of little things to fill (and those resulpted ears need some serious TLC).

 I just cannot decide on what color she'd look best in...


 ... although I'm tempted to try a dark bay with birdcatcher spots! I also cannot decide if I want to sculpt a new mane and tail or if I want to attempt to hair her with mohair. The sculpted hair is a safer bet, and easier to transport, but a really nice mohair job looks so nice...

6 comments:

  1. That looks awesome! You seemed to have fixed most of the problems that people find with Strapless :) I think she would look awesome as a Chestnut Tobiano... or maybe a Palomino or Dun... Whatever you decide on, I'm sure she'll look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! She would be ADORABLE in chestnut tobiano.... sigh. So many colors to choose from, so little horse to paint!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grulla leopard spot appy like the one on this website (Ava Minted Design) : http://www.equineinspections.com/inspection_results_for_2008.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :O My. Goodness. <3 If only I had the mad painting skillz to paint something like that!

      Delete
  4. I've just discovered your blog and it's great! If you see this, I'd love to know how you we t about straightening her neck. I want to do exactly this on a model but I'm not sure of the best way to set about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicola! Thank you! To straighten her neck, I used a paint stripping gun (on the low heat setting) and carefully heated her neck up until it was soft enough to bend. The heat guns can melt the plastic or even set it on fire(!), so it's important to keep it moving and not too close. Then (using gloves because that plastic can get hot!) I bent her neck straight. That much bending caused quite a bit of wrinkling and bubbling in the plastic, so I then had to power sand her neck down and re-sculpt the muscles on top using Apoxie Sculpt. It can be a bit tricky, but it is a lot of fun! It does get easier the more times you do it, so I would suggest starting with a model you don't really care about as a practice piece to get the hang of it. (And I realize now that I really should just write a whole blog post on this topic... with pictures!) Good luck!

      Delete