Saturday, February 28, 2015

Harness: done!

I have been bedridden for a few days, sick, so that's given me some quiet time to work on the Ruffian-mold harness. It's finally done!


 I updated the bridle, because it needed more shiny pieces, and also made some tendon boots and quarter bell boots, because every harness horse needs some leg protection!


 I had intended to keep and show this harness, but, between Par's vet bills, my own medical bills, and my... well... bills, I decided that I'm going to put this up for sale on MH$P sometime later today. The catch is that it is a harness only for the Ruffian mold. The super-soft, beautiful red leather I used doesn't adjust very easily, so it is better left for one horse only, after an initial fitting to the horse and cart. Also, all the cut-outs designed to cope with the mold's mane designate this as a Ruffian-only harness.


 The cool part about this harness is that it goes on really fast. I can put the entire harness (and the boots) on in just five minutes! There's only 2 buckles that need to be done (or undone) when taking the harness on (or off.) I wanted it to be super fast on-off so that I could show in lots of performance classes with the same horse. I have a soft spot in my heart for all-around horses. ;)


 The bridle slides on as one piece, and the crown secures with sticky wax (the bridle is tight enough that it won't slide off without the wax, but it drapes more nicely against the poll with the help of wax.) The breast collar also secures with wax at the withers.

 
The false martingale slides over the girth so as to avoid having to buckle it during a show.


 The tendon boots close with magnets (super fast!), and the quarter bell boots go on in literally seconds.


 (I'm completely in love with these boots!)


 It's a working-type marathon harness, so it's not quite as dainty as, say, a pleasure harness.


 But, there's still plenty of bling on the bridle!


 The breeching strap positions can be modified depending on the buyer's taste.


 The tug straps and related strappy things are very versatile. The harness should fit with many different carts and shaft styles.


I'll be sad to not have this harness around to show, but I suppose that gives me an excuse to made another one!

3 comments:

  1. What an incredibly cool harness! And I have to agree with you, those boots are amazing. The whole set is so amazingly detailed and realistic. I'm going to have to start saving up so I can place an order with you. ;)

    LM

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome. And I hope you're feeling better. Anything that has you bedridden can't be much fun.

    LM

    ReplyDelete