Sunday, November 30, 2014

The Casting Adventures Begin Again


My Black Friday ribbon made me imagine some lunging equipment. I even found some rubber jump rings that would be perfect for side-rein donuts, and so I began to work a lunging cavesson.



 (Still missing keepers and throatlatch in this picture.) I made a nosepiece out of brass and engraved it to look jointed. It was okay, but I really wanted something better.


Even though I liked the construction (love that chin piece!), I just couldn't get over the nosepiece. So, I decided to try to make and cast a set of jointed nose pieces for the cavesson.

The last time I tried to cast something myself, (a classic scale cross-country mare) it resulted in an exploded mold, a ruined sculpture, and hundreds of hours of sculpting time wasted. This time, I decided to try with something a little bit... smaller. Seriously, these pieces are really tiny. The whole mold fits inside a bottle cap!



Right now, the mold is busy drying. Tomorrow, I get to see if this casting adventure will end more happily than the last one!

No comments:

Post a Comment