Monday, December 15, 2014

Here Be Dragons

It's been quiet on here! My fault: it's finals week (I graduate on Friday, weee!) and I've been too busy with schoolwork to do anything model-horse related.


I spent all weekend working on illustrations for my English final. I only have one (mostly) done so far, and the photo quality is not superb, but I thought y'all might enjoy it anyways. I have to say, color is not my strong suit (I'm definitely better in black and white) but I was positive that color would suit the story better than black-and-white illustrations.

These are big pieces (for me). Each paper is 4 feet across and a little less than 2 feet tall, done in chalk pastels and ink. I had to tape the paper to the wall in order to have a space to work, so I am exhausted after working on the wall for a few days! 


I really, really like dragons. (Part of the reason I love horses is that, in my opinion, they are the closest living relative to dragons.) My English project is a historical story written as a metaphorical "fairy tale." I hope to someday publish a collection of these illustrated stories in a book. I am not yet at the level of artistic skill that I would like to publish at, but I will keep working at it. 

Someday, someday. :)




3 comments:

  1. I love the drawings. And I'm going to agree with you for sure. Even though dragons and horses seem to be the most unrelated things....ever, if you think about how a dragon moves and how they both act, they're pretty similar. But I absolutely love the shading on the dragon. It reminds me of Festus from the "Heroes of Olympus" series by Rick Riordan. I'm not sure if you read that or not, but it's really close :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes, they are so similar! I love going out to the barn on really cold, still mornings, so that when the horses breathe it looks like dragon-smoke coming out of their nostrils. I haven't read that series, but it sounds like I need to check it out! P.S. I looked up the artwork for Festus: it is really similar! Cool!

      Delete