Saturday, December 6, 2014

Postal Scare

I put this saddle in the mail last week, with approximately a pound of bubble wrap and entirely too much duct tape. I thought it would be safe from anything: floods, truck crashes, careless handling.


Yesterday, however, it seemed that the post office had lost it in the mail. It was days late and the tracking information indicated that it had vanished from the face of the earth. Lost! The one thing I couldn't truly protect it against! My one consolation was that I had insured it for its purchase price, just in case. Fortunately, the post office found it this morning and it is now safely on its way to its new owner!

 This was a happy-ending reminder to always insure artwork, or anything valuable, in the mail. Anything can happen, and although it won't replace all the time, effort, and care that went in to making something, it at least will help ease the loss and allow you to make another piece for your customer. 

Hopefully it arrives safe and sound, and hopefully it didn't have to endure any floods, truck crashes, or careless handling!

2 comments:

  1. Boy you were lucky the PO found it!! Back in 2007 I lost an entire Bosal Hackamore and Breastcollar -- my worst mail loss. They never did find it, tho the tattered box turned up months later. That was the set that taught me never to mail tack in a package smaller than a cassette box. I wound up replacing the entire order and, as these things go, the second time it was a better piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness! I would have cried! That is good to know about small packages. Perhaps I should start sending all of my items in refrigerator boxes, just to play it safe!

      Delete